Sunday, May 14, 2017

Event 2

This week, I went to the Mnemoawari exhibition by E. Joteva, an M. F. A. candidate at UCLA. The exhibition has 3 cryo sculptures which melts gradually over 3 days of the exhibition. Each cryo ball has stuff like mushroom pieces and tree branches inserted into them. I think by showing the melting of the cry balls, Joteva is trying to present us with the process of something material disappearing gradually, transferring into memory and immaterial impressions. 

A giant melting ice ball 
Besides the three cryo balls, there’s also an interactive part with a pair of VR glasses. After putting on the glasses, my whole vision was occupied with one of the melting cryo balls. I could also see the ball from different angles by moving my head around. The effect was pretty intriguing, and enhanced my impression of the cryo sculptures.

Another giant ice ball
Overall, I think the show is really interesting. The three melting ice balls are aesthetically pleasing and provides us with new ways of looking at material objects and how they vanish into our memories. The VR part is also novel, and shows how technology can enhance art creations. While I would recommend the show to my fellow classmates, I think the show can also be improved in terms of its content. The melting ice balls alone might be a little tedious as to how the artist want to convey her ideas. It would probably be better if the artist can add something that people can relate to, some everyday objects, to make her ideas more concrete.

Me at the Show
                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 9: Space + Art

For all human beings, the space and beyond is always fascinating yet mysterious. We have spent countless efforts attempting to explore the ...